Christmas in Basel
Effective since 1 December 2021:
On account of the corona pandemic, the Basel Christmas market 2021 is taking place with a protection concept:
- Access for visitors aged 16 and over is only possible with a valid Swiss or EU Covid certificate (QR code) and identity document. Persons under 16 years of age must be able to identify themselves. Checks are carried out at the entrances to the Christmas market on Barfüsserplatz and Münsterplatz.
- Masks are recommended for visitors to the Basel Christmas market.
- From 1 December 2021, masks must be worn in indoor public spaces and catering establishments by all visitors aged 12 and over. All food must be consumed at the table. Masks may be removed while eating.
Access is possible with a Covid certificate issued in Switzerland, the EU or the UK. Those vaccinated and recovered abroad (without EU or UK certificate) can apply for a Swiss Covid certificate for a processing fee of CHF 30.
The city’s cultural institutions host countless festive events in the run-up to Christmas. From Advent concerts and Christmas markets to special exhibitions, Basler Weihnacht offers something for everyone.
At Theater Basel, a new door of the popular Advent calendar will open every day with a stage presentation. The Spielzeug Welten Museum Basel and Museum der Kulturen Basel present exhibitions for the season, while the Basler Marionetten Theater returns with its special Christmas programme for young and old.
This year’s City Run Basel will take place on 20 and 21 November. The city’s churches will also host a series of events throughout Advent. The gospel night at Basel Cathedral (Münster) in particular is one of the most important events of Basler Weihnacht and is not to be missed. Every evening from 5 pm to 10 pm, the facade sculptures in the inner courtyard of the City Hall are brought to life with a festive light show. Other festive highlights include the Palazzo Colombino Christmas variety show at the Rosentalanlage and the Santa Claus Harley Davidson parade.
Christmas 2021: highlights
“Basler Weihnacht” Association Board
Drawing in around 900,000 visitors each year, the Basel Christmas Market has become one of the city’s major public attractions. Its success is due in large part to synergies in terms of both organization and communication. Since 2010, the Verein Basler Weihnacht (Christmas in Basel Association) has ensured close cooperation between representatives from public administration, business and the authorities.
The board of the volunteer-run association is made up of the following representatives:
- Dr Gabriel Barell, Director of the Basel-Stadt Trade Association (Chair)
- Adrian Ambord, Industrielle Werke Basel (IWB)
- Matthias Böhm, Managing Director of StadtKonzeptBasel
- Daniel Egloff, Director of Basel Tourism
- Sabine Horvath, Head of Division of External Affairs and Marketing of the Canton of Basel-Stadt
Your contribution counts!
It is thanks to the close cooperation between all parties involved and the contributions of our loyal sponsors and patrons that Christmas in Basel (“Basler Weihnacht”) can continue to grow.
Many thanks for your donation to post office account number 40-711465-4!
Good to know.
Special highlights include the Christmas trees in the Town Hall courtyard and on Münsterplatz. The latter location is decorated by Johann Wanner every year, one of the largest makers of handmade Christmas decorations.
At Christmas, the streets of Basel delight visitors with a variety of Christmas lights. Each district has its own tradition. The Freie Strasse, Spalenvorstadt, St. Alban-Tal and Clarastrasse are all worth a visit. And of course, Münsterplatz, with its spectacular snow globes.
On the afternoon of Saturday, 4 December 2021, white-bearded Santa Clauses flit through the city centre on their motorcycles and collect donations for a good cause – an event very much in the Basel style: different, heartfelt and community-based.
Tickets, overnight stays and a watch worth CHF 2000.00: behind every door lies a fantastic prize!Enter now!