In the Middle Ages, sitting in church was reserved for the clergy in the choir area. The cathedral's canons' stalls, made shortly after 1363, show a wealth of motifs in the carving, which, in addition to the official display of splendour, also allows insights into a hidden and playful world of images. After the Reformation, with its concentration on the liturgy of the word, the faithful were also given seats in the nave, until in the 19th century it was almost completely taken over by pews and chairs. The feeling of space in the church was significantly redefined by the seating arrangement.
Note: This text was translated by machine translation software and not by a human translator. It may contain translation errors.