Historic Schloss Binningen is located at the centre of the municipality of Binningen, near Basel.
Official content of
Schloss Binningen was built in the 1290s, originally as a moated castle. Two earthquakes destroyed the foundation walls, and the castle was almost burned to the ground. The castle was rebuilt as of 1414 but destroyed again in the wake of the Battle of St. Jakob in 1444. Over time, the castle has had several owners. A chronological list of the owners, along with their coats of arms, is displayed in the castle's gallery. The castle has belonged to the municipality of Binningen since 1960. Schloss Binningen is now home to a hotel and a well-known restaurant.