HMB - Das virtuelle Museum für Pferdestärken,
Open 24 hours
Already in the 19th century, the Basel Historical Museum had been gifted with a number of sleighs from the 17th and 18th century. After 1930, coaches were increasingly added to the collection. Since 1981, when the former Carriage Museum opened in the Merian Gardens, the collection has grown continuously.
Testifying to the mobility of our forefathers, it tells a story of fascination with travel and the mobility of the upper classes. Until its closure in September 2016, the exhibition building that was later renamed the Museum of Horsepower attracted large numbers of visitors to its public collection. Today these vehicles are stored in a depot. A representative selection of exhibits from the carriage and sleigh collection as well as a documented history of the museum are digitally accessible to the public.